Friday, May 18, 2007

Making Gluten Free Bread Crumbs

Gluten Free Bread Crumbs can be very expensive - just like everything else gf! I throw the ends and weird cut slices of bread in the freezer. When I accumulate a lot (or run out of bread crumbs and need some) - I thaw them and make bread crumbs.

I took the bread slices out of the freezer yesterday morning before work and left them sitting out all day in a roasting pan.

When I got home from work last night, I cut the bread into cubes and put in the oven at 250 degrees - the amount of time in the oven will vary according to the moisture content of your bread. You want to make sure that the bread crumbs are nice and dry when done - but don't burn them! I left mine in the oven about 2 hours and they were still a little moist - so I turned the oven off (it was still hot) and left them in over night. This morning they were perfect.


Put the dry bread crumbs in a food processor or blender - make sure they have cooled down before doing this step.

Process until they are fine bread crumbs. Store in a glass jar. They should keep for many months.

I use these to coat chicken and in meat loaf and meat balls.

No comments: