Sunday, October 08, 2006

Food projects in school

Blame it on age or simply not having to notice and therefore remember, but I don't remember that many food projects when I was in elementary school. I do remember taking treats to school for my birthday and making Mexican food in Spanish Class in Jr. High and High School, but I don't remember so many projects involving food in elementary school.

Andy is only 1 month into First Grade and already we had encountered a few birthdays and Japenese food tasting. Now I have to find and/or make Hot Cross Buns for him because the music class has been learning the song of the same name and the music teacher is bringing Hot Cross Buns in for the students.

And it nevers comes at a good time. I did find a recipe on the internet and then yesterday afternoon, Dan ran out to our favorite health food store and found some cinnamon buns that I think I can just put a cross of icing on.

I feel pretty proud of myself most of the time that I have the lunch and snack routine down so well that feeding him daily at school is pretty seemless - so when I need to put something together at the last minute and it doesn't fall neatly into my pre-planned week I get irritated and want to scream why do they have to use so many food related themes at school? But then I calm down and realize it is not the end of the world - that it probably is a really effective way of learning and the kids probably love it.

This week I think I am set, I just wonder what next week will bring.......

No comments: