Sunday, October 01, 2006

I wonder if I also have celiac.....

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I need to be GFCF as well as Andy. Since we do not bring any non-GFCF food into this house, most of the time I am. I have a confirmed dairy allergy, but I am starting to wonder if perhaps I also have celiac. I certainly do much better on a GFCF diet. My entire life I have suffered from constipation and bowel issues. I have suffered unexplained rashes and practically lived on antacids and I always had canker sores in my mouth. Once we went GFCF for Andy I started to feel much better - but I was still getting both gluten and casein when at work. I was unemployed from June of last year through January this year. During that time since I was home with Andy I had very little chance to consume anything that wasn't GFCF. My BM's were never so normal as they were during that time and I never ate one single antacid. In the fall we took a trip out of town and I had some ice cream. Within minutes I was heading to the bathroom and had the runs all weekend. I got a runny nose and thought I was coming down with something - it was followed by the most terrible (and itchy) rash a few days later. Two months later I decided see if it really was the dairy (I had been tested for a dairy allergy years previous and it was positive, but it was too hard for me to stay away from dairy - I was still in denial) so I repeated the ice cream experiment with the same results. Once I returned to work at the end of January I again had many more opportunities to eat gluten and casein. I found I could eat small amounts of dairy and be OK - but no chunks of cheese, no pizza and no ice cream. Gluten didn't seem to bother me - but I really didn't eat it that much - maybe a few croutons on a salad. I was out of state all week this past week at a conference for my job. I avoided dairy - but it is impossible to avoid gluten at these sorts of things - and there was plenty of gluten everywhere. I got so sick. I still feel sick and I have been home for two days. I have eaten a whole huge Sam's Club bottle of Tums, my bones hurt, my skin is itchy (a rash is just appearing), my mouth is full of canker sores and I've had a runny nose. Something triggered a migraine (something I thought maybe I had finally gotten rid of for good). My son is adopted - I am not genetically related to him - what are the odds that I would have celiac as well? Regardless, I think I need to stay GFCF as much as possible. I think I will enquire into a special menu at the next conference I attend.

2 comments:

Claire and Lara said...

I *love* this blog...wonderful...I've been wondering for some time if I am celiac...what is the top book you recommend??

Kathi said...

You know I don't own a single book on celiac. I own lots on autism, but all of my celiac knowledge comes via the web and my son's doctor. Kinda scary when you think about it......