Sunday, September 24, 2006

GFCF Carrot Cake Recipe


I made this carrot cake for a co-workers birthday. I probably won't even tell him that it is GFCF - I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference. I also made a dozen cupcakes and Andy practically inhaled them (without frosting).
Carrot Cake
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups canola oil
4 eggs
3 cups Bob’s Red Mill GFCF Flour Mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups grated carrots (small fresh ones work taste best)
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained (a 20 oz can is about right)
1 cup chopped pecans (or other nuts you prefer)
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8-inch round pans.
Beat sugar with oil; add eggs one at a time, beating well. Sift flour with other dry ingredients. Add flour mixture, mix well. Beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Turn out onto wire racks. Frost when cool.

Rum-Buttercream Frosting
1 pound box of powdered sugar
1 cup GFCF margarine
½ teaspoon imitation rum flavoring (if making for a child, use vanilla instead)
2 to 3 tablespoons hot milk substitute (I use Dari Free)

Beat sugar with butter and rum flavoring. Gradually beat in milk.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Kathi-
stumbled into some"GREAT" info and good GFCF recipes-people make money selling books with this kind of info-your a lifesaver for my desert to take for Thanksgiving!!

Kathi said...

Patty,
I wonder if you tried the recipe and if it turned out for you? I'm glad you have found my blog useful. Everyone has the right to make money - but it is nice when we can all share and help each other out. I don't even want to place ads on my blog and then have to worry about what I say.

Monica said...

How long did you cook the cupcakes?

I want to use these as a replacement for "Party" cakes & treats at his school. They will let me keep some there frozen.

Kathi said...

Hi Monica -

I don't really remember - I am bad at timing things sometimes - I just keep an eye on them. I would check them with a toothpick after 20 minutes and then every 5 minutes until they test done. I am guessing 25 to 30 minutes.

kateg said...

Hello! I love the website, but am curious as to why under the heading GFCF Carrot Cake, the 3rd or 4th indredient on the list is eggs??? Have you tried this recipe without eggs? I'm planning on cooking a gluten free egg free recipe for my fiance's bday and he loves carrot cake.... Thanks

Kathi said...

Hi Kate,

We are only gluten and casein (dairy) free not egg free so many of my recipes call for eggs. I am not familar with egg substitution. I am sure there is probably something you can substitute but I'm not sure how that works. Sorry.