Monday, December 10, 2007

Another attempt at cupcakes for Andy's birthday party

Thanks everyone for your comments and e-mails. Part of what I was trying to do was fine a great yellow or white cake. Andy doesn't really care for chocolate and I know I could make some kick ass carrot ones but Andy doesn't like them either and it is his birthday. But he will tolerate chocolate so I think the next attempt is going to be chocolate. Chocolate always seems to turn out better.

As I was searching for recipes I found that several of them used mayonnaise instead of margarine or shortening and I thought I would try that - they were certainly moister, but the texture is still not what I would like and the taste is just okay. My family did eat them all up just like the first batch so none of this is going to waste - just not good enough to fool those on regular diets - especially children.


Here is this batch coming out of the oven - they have a nice golden color.

And here they are frosted.

This is the recipe I came up with:

GFCF Yellow Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups raw sugar
2/3 cup mayonaise (I used Spectrum canola mayo)
1 cup milk sub (I used Silk Soy Milk, vanilla flavor)
2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Mix the eggs, sugar and mayo until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Batter will be runny. Pour into prepared pans.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Let cool completely before frosting.

2 comments:

ruby said...

I'm GFCF too, and if I remember right, we've had good luck with a Namaste white cake mix. Pamela's is good for chocolate, but chocolate *is* much easier regardless, as you said. Anyway, I think I used the Namaste mix to make a dump cake - pineapple, pie filling, butter and the cake mix - and it was *really* good. I think it would probably turn out well on its own, too.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I bake gfcf for dd since February and have found your blog VERY helpful, so thanks! If you can use potato starch and sorghum flour, you might want to sub for some of the brown rice flour and tapioca. I usually sift together 3 parts brown rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca flour and 1 part sorghum flour and have had reasonable luck, especially when using eggs. Millet flour might work in place of sorghum, too. Just something with a little more protein content. Good luck!