Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Andy went to the gastro today

The visit was not at all what I had expected.

I keep hearing from other parents of kids with celiac how they do annual blood tests and I have been feeling bad that we haven't been to a gastro at all. His regular ped had referred us and I wasn't sure what to expect.

But the doctor was very nice and did not order any tests at all. He basically said that as long as Andy is doing OK on the diet - let's not mess with it. Just keep doing what we are doing. Make sure he goes to his regular ped for a weight at least once a year and just see him every 2 to 3 years unless Andy starts having problems.

If Andy gets to be a teen and starts wanting off the diet - then we can do a challenge so we know 100% since Andy was never scoped. And he wouldn't even mess with the blood test - just do a piece of bread for 2 weeks and then go straight to a scope.

He said we could do a genetic test - but that won't really tell us much. All celiacs will have the gene for celiac - but so do 60% of everyone - so only if you are one of the 40% do you know anything certain with the genetic test - and since Andy has birth relatives with celiac, he probably almost certainly has the gene.

And it really doesn't matter if we call it celiac or leaky gut or a gluten allergy or gluten intolerance. The fact is that Andy does much better on a gfcf diet so let's not mess with it.

Someone else might have been disappointed that he didn't want to run tests, but I am relieved. And having a gastro validate it all makes it more real for the school and anyone else who might challenge the validity of the diet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read recently that Autistic children are found to have high levels of heavy metals in their system when samples of hair are tested. Apparently this is because their bodies find it difficult to detoxify. This might explain why jabs and vaccines are linked to Autism (as they are preserved using mercury). I was wondering whether I ought to get my son tested for heavy metals. I though that if he tested high, then my doctor might be willing to offer me the help of a dietician in working out a toxin-free diet for my son.

Melly said...

I would be relieved too. And I appreciate any doctor who doesn't rush to run all kinds of test.

I'm finally trying your corn dog recipe this week. I'm excited!

Do you mind if I link you on my blog?

Kathi said...

I haven't Andy tested for heavy metals yet - but I do think it is probably a good move.

Agent M - feel free to link me. I'm praying for Nick. Let me know how the corn dogs turn out for you.

Melly said...

Thank you so much for your prayers. I know that they help.