Sunday, April 01, 2007

GFCF Indian Rice

This is one of my family's favorite side dishes. I can't believe I haven't posted it before - we have it frequently. It is so flavorful that it works well with brown rice which is so healthy and good for you - but you could make it with white rice - you just won't get the nutrients. The first couple of times I made it I made it with half white and half brown rice - a great way to ease your family into good eating.

GFCF Indian Rice

¼ cup CF margarine (I used Crystal Farms Dairy Free)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 ½ cups chicken broth (you can use any broth or even water, but broth gives better flavor)
¼ slivered almonds

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt margarine in pan. Add onion and rice; cook and stir until rice is yellow and onion is tender. Stir in seasonings. Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole. Heat chicken broth to boiling and stir into rice mixture. Cover tightly and bake about 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in almonds.

8 servings (1/2 cup each)

No comments: