Saturday, April 14, 2007

Making smarter choices with sweeteners

I don't see myself eliminating all cane sugar from our diet and honestly I wouldn't want to. But I do want to make smarter choices whenever possible. I bought some brown rice syrup to replace corn syrup in recipes. I really really want to totally eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our diet. And tonight I made my wonderful barbeque sauce and replaced the brown sugar with maple syrup and it was wonderful. I made both beef ribs and chicken on the grill (so we have plenty of left overs to eat during the week) and they were delicious.

Here is my revised barbeque sauce recipe:

BBQ Sauce

1 cup gfcf ketchup (I use Heinz Organic)
¼ cup vinegar (I used Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar)
½ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon gfcf soy sauce (I use San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch celery salt
Pinch mustard powder

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Store in a glass jar.

No comments: