Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday is Taco Night at our House

Fridays we pretty much always have Tacos - which is good for two reasons. One, Dan cooks them so I don't have to and two, Andy eats them really well and I don't have to nag him even once to clean his plate.

Tacos were one thing that I thought we would give up forever - but with a few modifications, they are back on our menu. For one thing, I don't trust that there isn't hidden gluten in the seasoning mixes you buy in the store - so I make my own and I also have never been able to find an acceptable grated cheese. So we eat them without cheese.

What we make is really Tostadas for Dan and me, but Andy likes his in a hard taco shell. We use The Turkey Store extra lean ground turkey and we cook it up and season it with my homemade seasonings.

To make our tostadas or tacos, we first put refried beans on the flat tostada shell (or in the curved taco shell) and then we put the meat on. We then top with Tofutti brand sour cream substitute, salsa and lettuce. They taste so good and we don't even miss the cheese.

Here is my recipe for the taco seasoning mix:

Taco Seasoning Mix

2 teaspoons instant minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon corn starch
½ teaspoon instant minced garlic
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin

I make this mix up 6 at a time. I use Tupperware 2 oz. midgets. I just line 6 of them up and do along assembly line adding each ingredient and then moving on to the next.

To use: Brown ground beef (or turkey) in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease (I use extra lean ground turkey so there is no grease to drain). Add ½ cup water and 1 packet of taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes filling for 8 to 10 tacos.

If I think of it tonight I will take a picture of our tacos and tostadas so you can see how yummy they look.

Enjoy -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was very yummy and tasted just like McCormicks Taco seasoning which I usually use. I will be making my own from now on!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!